Saturday, March 08, 2008

Winter just won't let up...

Today's snowdrift in front of our hoophouse

We tend to get our hopes up for an early spring when the calendar hits March, and the past few winters have lulled us into thinking that the "real" winters of yesteryear were no more.

No so this year: we're getting record amounts of snow. Today's headline in the Toronto Globe and Mail says it all: "Old Man Winter pumps up the volume." We've had snowstorm after snowstorm, and the current one is about the biggest of the season. Some are calling it "the winter from hell."

It certainly is that for snow removal budgets, and there is now so much snow that a quick thaw could bring serious flooding to parts of Ontario.

The snow removed from Toronto streets
Photo by Boris Spremo, The Globe and Mail

However, I'm happy. This snow pack is a god-send for our poor parched landscape, not to mention the water levels in the Great Lakes. If you recall, last summer, we had the worst drought in almost 50 years, so all this preciptation is manna from heaven, as far as I'm concerned.

Fortunately, there's a breath of spring in the air: the Canada Blooms garden show starts in Toronto next Wednesday. I'll be there to see what's new.

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

10 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I've always heard wonderful things about the Canada Blooms show. Enjoy it, maybe spring is hiding around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please take pictures at Canada Blooms (as if you wouldn't ? LOL) .. I can't make it .. and I'm really jealous .. but have a good time .. I'll be thinking of ya' from Kingston ... under our own snow moutain here ! haha
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much winter this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving it too Yvonne! Al Gore must be laying in bed at night trying to figure out what he's going to do next!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, indeed, I'll take pictures at Canada Blooms. It will be a welcome break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eve: Did you say you saw red-wing blackbirds? For some reason, Blogger didn't publish that comment. I'm wondering when I'll see them. It's so cold (-12C) and snowy this morning they seem worlds away. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eve: Found your comment, was looking at the wrong post. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yvonne,
    I'm a member (past President) of the North Country Bird Club here in Watertown. It's a great group. Check it out at http://www.northcountrybirdclub.org/
    There were red-wing sightings in Watertown(many)along with grackles and one on the lake at Three Mile Bay! I was very surprised to hear the Killdeer at the parkinglot of Sam's in Watertown on Friday. We keep track of the birds and the dates for arrival etc. Yes, spring does seem worlds away. Let's hope it right around the bend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:07 AM

    Hi Yvonne,

    I'm just up the highway to the north of Waterloo. Although all the snow is getting me down - I'm antsy for spring, I too am happy that our lakes and landscapes will benefit from the added water/spring run off.

    Can't wait for Canada Blooms! Maybe I'll see you there.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is an amazing amount of snowfall! I hope it doesn't cause flooding, but you're right about replenishing the Great Lakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener