Thursday, March 20, 2008

First day of spring: cold again, my birds are back

The creek today: the flooding usually lasts just a day

Amazingly, yesterday we hardly saw a bird. Then today, we had flocks of birds on the property. If I were a bird photographer, I'd have pictures of them.

From the kitchen window, I saw a woodpecker, robins and a blue jay, all within seconds of each other on the same oak tree. Then, while out on our walk, we finally heard them and saw them: the redwing blackbirds are back! We also saw flocks of cedar waxwings and robins (both drawn to our crabapple trees), not to mention, alas, hordes of starlings.

I sure hope it warms up for them all. Today's temperatures hovered around freezing all day, with the wind making it feel much colder.

Not looking or feeling the least like spring

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

3 comments:

  1. I'm a birdwatcher and love to try and take photos of them. I've spotted the robin and the red wings in the garden in the past week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yvonne,

    Same here in Kincardine, not looking or feeling at all like spring. I am looking forward to brighter, warmer days too. I have to say though, your garden looks absolutely beautiful even at this time of the year!

    Shirley
    at gardenessence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Yvonne,
    You have to feel sorry for those birds out there today at -9C! The gardens DO look beautiful, even in this white scenery! It can only be a matter of time now...short time we hope!
    Eve

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener