Saturday, March 22, 2008

Wild garden vistor snacks on crabapples

Coyote foraging for crabapple berries

Around supper time this evening, my husband looked out the window, and said, "Isn't that a coyote?"

Yes, and there it was in our crabapple orchard, looking for a snack. We even saw it pick the fruit right out of the tree. (My dog does this on occasion too.)

Our crabapple trees have persistent fruit, and the birds have been harvesting them of late, but I often wondered who else snacked out there because my dog, Toby, is often very keen to go under the crabs to check out the scents.

I got out the camera, and was able to take some pictures from the living room window. When the coyote moved behind a tree, I went outside to see if I could get closer, which I did manage without being noticed.

But by that time Toby had seen the coyote and was going nuts, barking up a storm. He was indoors, but loud enough for the coyote to hear. Then, the coyote spotted me and took off through the neighboring tree farm to the woods.

So coyotes eat crabapples. Who knew?


© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

2 comments:

  1. Morning Yvonne!! And a bright beautiful morning it is! Too bad it's still a bit cold for an Easter morning! Well, I knew the deer ate my crabapples but who knew the coyotes liked them too! It was so funny to look out one morning and see all the apples from the height a deer could reach and under gone!! Now since the robins got back there isn't an apple left. Our coyotes have been spending a lot of time yipping in the mornings lately, it can be a very eerie sound.
    Have a great day! Pat Toby for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Amazing! My neighbors have told me we have coyotes, too, but I have yet to see one...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener