Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Drought update: Not whining, still watering

July precipitation report: We had more rain this month than in June: 6/10ths of an inch in the first week (in two showers), the same in week two (three showers), and the same once again in week three (delivered in two showers on one day). But over the past 10 days to the end of the month, we had only one small shower, with 2/10ths of an inch.

The cumulative effect of the extremely low rainfall since mid-May has now put us into "record dry" territory. (See the second dot near Hamilton on the map: that's roughly where we are.) I've never had to garden in a drought like this. It was almost as bad in 1998, the first year we were here, but at that season, we had no gardens yet.

Despite the bad news, I've been in good spirits lately, probably because it's been reasonably cool, especially at night, and at least until now we've been spared the nasty humidity that we normally get. I'm no meterologist, but I suspect that the dip in the jet stream that we've had over southern Ontario more or less all summer long has kept both the humidity and the big thunderstorms at bay. Both have certainly been plentiful south of the border.

Semi-circular perennial bed at the end of July

At this point instead of whining, I simply keep on watering. The end result is that the garden, which I've designed for maximum color and interest for this time year is actually looking pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:01 PM

    I have read your article about the drought in your area.
    I hope that you will not endure the same problems with Water thieves that we have here in Australia ?
    They are a new breed of water bandits that deprive people and stock of life saving water in rural areas.
    It has become a serious problem in our area and the local farmers are guarding their water tanks used for drinking water.
    Water thieves with portable pumps are draining dams and vital drinking water from storage tanks.
    I have included a link referring to this practice
    I like your garden.
    My garden is like a dust bowl due to lack of water since 2002.
    website Romsey Australia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener