Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer solstice: It's all down hill from here

In honour of the summer solstice, I made rhubarb custard pie for the garden helper crew today. It was not my finest effort: store-bought pie crust and the pie could have baked 10 more minutes and then cooled for a bit longer to help the custard set. Nonetheless, it was a hit. This pie has only rhubarb in it, no strawberries, which in my opinion are best eaten fresh.

YVONNE'S RHUBARB CUSTARD PIE

The custard in this pie comes from the eggs and the juiciness of the rhubarb. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

10-inch unbaked deep pie shell
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 to 5 cups chopped rhubarb in 1/2 inch pieces
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp melted butter

1. Blend together flour and sugar and sprinkle one-quarter over bottom of pie shell. (This is a nice touch, and it keeps the crust from getting soggy.) Cover with chopped rhubarb.

2. Mix remaining flour-sugar mixture with egg and butter (I usually omit the butter), and spread evenly over rhubarb.

3. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking at least one hour or until crust is golden, rhubarb soft, and the filling is set. Allow pie to cool for about two to three hours before serving.

4 comments:

  1. it was delicious. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi L: Oh, good, the verdict is unanimous then! Cheers, Y

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was working at your place! Rhubarb is such fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Gardenista, you don't need to work here to make the pie. It's pretty easy...

    Cheers, Y

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener