Monday, June 30, 2008

In bloom for the Open Garden day

Persicaria polymorpha, giant white fleece flower

I was exaggerating a bit about the lack of bloom for tomorrow's Open Garden.

Here's what's in bloom: lady's mantle, Summer Snowflake hydrangea, two small flowered and one large flowered clematis, catmint, a few early daylilies, penstemon (Husker's Red), white campion, salvia, verbascum, Alaskian burnet, Stachys monnieri 'Hummelo', Persicaria polymorpha (giant white fleeceflower), cranesbill geraniums, Knautia macedonica and sea holly (in the wild garden, which we no longer weed).

Not so shabby after all, but with the sheer number of ornamental grasses, and all the echninaceas and rudbeckias that aren't out yet, the color effect is a bit muted, although the lawn is green and lush from all the rain.

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

2 comments:

  1. Have fun today Yvonne! I can't wait to see the wildflower meadow in bloom again. The pictures of your "Ratibida in the Morning" just makes me feel good!!! I meant to order seeds this year but never got to it. I think a new garden plan is in order for next year. It sure would be a lot easier to start now by covering the lawn with a tarp to get ready for next year right???!!!
    Hope the weather is perfect today!!! I look forward to hearing all about the tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:39 AM

    Yvonne,

    Thanks for having me yesterday, the weather was nice and everything in the garden was beautiful.

    I was the person in the red shirt that greeted you on your way into the house with the raspberry :-)

    I couldn't believe the sheer size of the hostas, and the ground cover against the house was something else.

    I paused every now and then to listen to the birds chirping away, it was just a serene environment.

    I liked the rock garden, and the clematis growing adjacent to it on the trellis.

    I am a new gardener, and in the link below is what I have been up to so far since last year

    http://www.yougrowgirl.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9586

    My username in the link is: canuck

    Mick in Southern Ontario

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener