Monday, April 21, 2008

It was a pussy-cat winter: says forsythia

This spring's forsythia in bloom

After the winter my forsythia looks usually looks like the picture below, that is, with only a bit of bloom at the bottom where there was snow cover.

Well, it must have been an easy, or at least a milder, winter: this spring the entire shrub is blooming for the first time in about five years.

So far it's been unseasonally warm for April - too warm for those of us who like to see the spring bulb flowers linger. And already, dare I say it, it's very dry. I sure hope this summer isn't as depressingly dry as it was last year.

Drought years get me so down that I want to quit gardening. I wonder if other gardeners feel that way. If I was on city water, and could water my garden more easily, would I feel the same way? Perhaps not.

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

2 comments:

  1. Morning Yvonne,
    I saw a forsythia yesterday that looked more like the second picture on your post. It must have been a little cooler here. I too feel like it's already too dry (this coming from a motorcyclist that loves dry days) and am worried about the gardens. I have felt the same way you do about giving up! But how can we...it's in our blood!
    Cheers and hope you get some rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:34 PM

    I haven't noticed any vast difference in forsythia in my neighborhood. Most look sort of ratty and inconsistent, like your photo from last year.

    Droughts don't scare me much - living between Lakes Erie & Ontario, and having city water makes it easier.

    I do feel bad for those in the West and South U.S. I had a friend move from here to Atlanta, spend the time & money to put in a garden there and then be told not to water it all last summer. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener