Monday, November 03, 2008

Dear November: I'm rather fond of you

When my friend Sandy emailed me to say, "The beautiful month is here at last," I was surprised. I thought I was the only person (or maybe just the only Canadian) who really likes November. When I asked her why, she replied:
I love November! At least the first two weeks. It's quiet and calm, but still has plenty of color. And I don't have any guilt about not doing garden chores.
I couldn't agree more. That's exactly why I love November too. The inner voice that keeps saying, "I must get to that" whenever I see something amiss in the garden is almost silent.

Aside from some leaves to chop up - a job I do with my big professional ride-on mower (we don't rake if we can help it) - and some succulents still in the greenhouse that need to be moved to the basement when it gets really cold, we're done. November always comes as a relief after a busy garden season.

So welcome, November. The weather for the week is mild: today's temperature was 17 degrees C (that's 62 degrees F for you Americans). The only downside to the month for me is that daylight saving time has ended. I tend to be a night owl, and early morning is the best time for photography, so now I have to get earlier to catch the magic light.

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful Yvonne. Being a lazy gardener I still have work to do out there! I think our October is your November! We just got rid of the snow we had the other day! But it is going to be in the 60's for a week or so, so I'd better get unlazy quick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yvonne
    I just love your blog and the endless beautiful photos.........BUT if I have to pick a favorite month - it is not November. Depending on the winter - March or April just is my favorite. The first snow-drops, winter aconites, or crocuses always put a smile on my face along with the very first unfolding of the buds on trees and shrubs.
    But I agree that there is something lovely about any month, also November.
    Salix

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener