Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Drought watch

This map (click on the picture to see a larger version), which I found on the Agriculture Canada site shows the areas of extreme dryness for this season in southern Ontario.

We are located to the right of London near the tip of Lake Ontario where the yellow (low) and orange (very low) regions converge. The long range forecast shows that there may be a chance of rain on June 24. That would make it roughly a month since the last decent rain, which brought only 2/3 of an inch.

I ran sprinklers this morning and evening and so far I've used up 2/3 of the water from the water truck, which delivers about 40,000 gallons to the cistern. The gardens that I watered are looking very grateful indeed, as it got up to 32C today (almost 90F).

I have to admit that in spite of all my grumbling about the weather and no rain, the garden looks wonderful early in the morning and positively magical in the evening. I must sit out more, and get away from the computer and the hoses. Don't ya love summer?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:50 AM

    That chart has me puzzled. We are in the North Bay area and have had a very dry month. Good shower yesterday(June 19) though.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chart likely shows things in broad brush strokes, but wouldn't be that accurate on an extremely local level.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener