Saturday, March 28, 2009

Every gardener needs this pruning guide

If you have shrubs in your yard, you need to know something about pruning.

My favorite pruning book is Cass Turnbull's Guide to Pruning: What, When, and Where and How to Prune for a More Beautiful Garden.

I've been a fan of Turnbull's ever since I read in Horticulture magazine that she had started Plant Amnesty, a Seattle-based nonprofit organization devoted to educating gardeners how to avoid the senseless mutilation of trees and shrubs.

Turnbull has been teaching correct pruning practices for more than 20 years. She writes well, and just plain knows her stuff. Her book shows you all the how-to with clearly written and illustrated instructions.

Nothing about pruning is obvious, Turnbull explains; in fact, most of it is downright counterintuitive. For example, gardeners prune to try to control growth, but mostly they end up promoting more of the kind of growth they don't want.

Although this pruning guide is published by an American regional publisher based in the Pacific Northwest, most of the plants discussed are found in gardens and backyards throughout the US and Canada.

So if you're looking for a readable book about real-world pruning, this one is humorously written and reasonably priced: Highly recommended! Available at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca.

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to get this one Yvonne...I can see from the pictures I already have Forsithia in my new yard!! Instant gardens!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener