Monday, September 29, 2008

Fall splendour - grasses and more

Fall is best time of year for me. Here are my reasons for loving autumn:

1. Heat and humidity go away
2. The light is golden and magical
3. The garden chores are almost over

4. Fantastic leaf colors
5. Harvest goodies: crisp apples, squash, cranberries are in season; you can roast dinner in the oven again
6. My favorite plants, ornamental grasses, really shine

Fountain grass in front, backed by flame grass and feather reed grass

Close-up of flame grass (Miscanthus sinensis var. purpurascens)

7. Crisp frosty mornings and nights under a cozy duvet
8. The golf course across the road begins to get less busy, so I can walk the dogs there again
9. I can wear black turtle necks and jeans again (my favorite uniform)
10. My birthday is in October

© Yvonne Cunnington, Country Gardener

2 comments:

  1. All very good reasons to love autumn Yvonne! My flame grass is in its second year out back...it's spectacular, but not yet red! Soon! Everything looks just beautiful! I guess I'll have to get out there and get some fall color too!! Thanks and Happy Birthday coming soon! Do we get to know the date?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne beautiful pictures ! I love my ornamental grasses this time of year too : )
    My birthday is also in October so yet another reason whay I love this time of year as well!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener