Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Perfect spring garden moment: Palibin lilac


Spring-flowering shrubs seem to come and go so quickly that I think of them as fleeting moments in the garden.

Luckily, these "moments" last a week or two. The serviceberry and crabapple moments have come and gone, but now we're enjoying the Palibin lilac moment.

This picture is the scene I enjoy every time I step out the door into the garden. It's a grouping of my favorite lilac, the dwarf Korean lilac (Syringa meyeri 'Palibin'), which has a fresh, spicy fragrance and elegant form.

The Palibin dwarf Korean lilac blooms in mid to late May, and grows only about five feet tall. Best of all, it resists powdery mildew and has a neat-looking mounded growth habit. You can also find it at garden centers trained as a standard.

There is more information about growing lilacs at my web site.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Yvonne.
    What an absolutely gorgeous scene. I can just imagine the fragrance. Your "serviceberry moment" was the final push I needed to put a serviceberry into my garden. I love it. Thanks.
    Cheers.
    Irena

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I have a new country garden blog and I will no longer be publishing comments at this blog. If you have a question or comment about the topic here, please use the contact form at my new blog to get in touch with me.

-Yvonne, aka Country Gardener