Saturday, June 17, 2006

Snappy crossing


I was out one evening recently taking flower photos, when I noticed something on our laneway. When I went to investigate, I saw that it was a huge snapping turtle headed towards our farm pond.

It took me a few minutes to realize that this was a "photo opportunity." It's odd how once your head is in one mode (flower photography) that it takes a few minutes to realize that a turtle in the laneway would be interesting to photograph too.

Anyway, I ran to get my telephoto lens, so I wouldn't have to scare the turtle by getting too close, and here are the results. Is this a face only a mother could love?



Poor turtle. She froze while I took pictures of her. After I stopped taking pictures and returned to the flowers, she finally felt safe enough to continue to the pond.

We have a south-facing hill around our house that would be perfect for turtle-egg laying. Perhaps she laid her eggs there.